Jagadguru Adi Shankaracharya Keerti Sthambam, Kalady- Kerala
Sri Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam has a history of unbroken lineage of more than 2500 years since its inception till date since the Peetam was established in 482 BCE by Jagadguru Adi Shankaracharya himself. Sri Kanchi Matam has always been in the forefront in creating the awareness of Adi Sankara and His philosophy among the masses. It is the fulfilment of a dream of Kanchi Acharyas to build an apt memorial to the Bhagawatpada as He is warmly called, in his native village of Kalady.
It was the culmination an effort to give the Lord the niche in the world of intellectuals and was also to put Kalady in the world map. The importance of Kalady as the birth place of the Lord was mostly unknown to the world and even to the local population. All that was changed when the memorial was opened in the year 1978. (12th May 1978)
The idea of the stupi was conceived in the mind of His Holiness Jagat Guru Sankaracharya Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswathi Swamigal (Pujya Mahaperiyava as He is affectionately called) and the construction was started under His guidance and consecrated by His Holiness Jagadguru Sri Jayendra Saraswathi Swamigal in the year 1978. The Stoopi was dedicated to the nation by His Excellency Neelam Sanjeeva Reddy, President of India On 12th May 1978.
The Keerthi Sthambam is an imposing 8-storey structure. A pair of elephant statues stand at the entrance. Inside the Sthambam is the Paduka Mandapam, where the Padukas of Sri Adi Sankara have been consecrated and regular worship is offered.
One can climb the spiral staircase inside the mandapam and see the paintings and statues on the walls, depicting important episodes from the life of Sri Adi Sankara.
Pujas & Events
- Sri Shankara Jayanthi is celebrated every year on the Vaisaka Shukla Panchami day commemorating the birth of Adi Shankaracharya.
- With blessings of Pujya Shankaracharya Swamigal, visesha pujas and veda parayanam is performed monthly on the Shukla Panchami day
- In May 2003, special celebrations were held here to mark the 2510th birth anniversary of Adi Sankara, the golden jubilee of Pujyasri Jayendra Saraswathi Shankaracharya Swamiji's Peetarohanam and the silver jubilee celebrations of Adi Sankara Keerthi Sthambam. As part of the celebrations, a procession led by Their Holinesses Pujyasri Jayendra Saraswathi Shankaracharya Swamiji and Pujyasri Sankara Vijayendra Saraswathi Shankaracharya Swamiji was taken out from Angamally to Kalady.
Pujya Jayendra Saraswathi Shankaracharya Swamigal's visit to Kalady- some photos
Related Articles & News
- Prime Minister visits Adi Shankara Keerthi Sthamba Mandapam at Kalady
- 2532nd Sri Shankara Jayanti Mahotsvam at Sri Adi Shankaracharya Janma Bhoomi Kshetram - KALADY- at Sri Adi Shankara Keerthi Sthambam
- April 2023- Shankara Jayanti to be celebrated at Kalady
- Shukla Panchami - Visesha Pujas and Havans performed at Kalady-17-04-2021
- About Sri Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam in Malayalam
- Shankara Jayanthi Mahotsav held at Kalady, Kerala -10- 15 May 2013
Karthigai Deepam at Kalady Keerti Sthambam - 2022
Contact DetailsSri Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam-Sri Adi Sankara Keerthi Sthamba Mandapam
M.C.Road, Kalady – 683574. Kerala
Tel: 0484-2462550, Mob.: 94002-89874
Back to Page - Focus Adi Shankaracharya